• 2015 SoCal Year End Awards

Promotion of the Year
    Lucha Underground
    -Runner-up: Pro Wrestling Guerrilla

Wrestler of the Year
    B-Boy
    -Runner-up: (tie) "Pretty" Peter Avalon/Roderick Strong

Tag Team of the Year
    The Young Bucks (Matt Jackson & Nick Jackson)
    -Runner-up: The Classic Connection (Buddy Royal and Levi Shapiro)

Paul T. Memorial Award for Most Outstanding Wrestler
    Gary Yap's Man In Black
    -Runner-up: Eli Everfly

Rookie of the Year
    Douglas James
    -Runner-up: Thunder Rosa

Match of the Year
    Hudson Envy vs. Cheerleader Melissa (AWS, 5/30)
    -Runner-up: The Young Bucks & Super Dragon vs. Andrew Everett, Trevor Lee & Biff Busick (PWG 8/29)

And... NEEEEWW... SoCalUncensored.com Promotion of the Year award winner...
    I'm not a Professional Wrestler, but I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!

Public Relations Director, Webmaster, Graphic Designer, Social Media Hack, Announcer, Guy Who Does Stuff and Alleged Co-Promoter, Vendetta Pro Wrestling.

Comment

I expected to be more furious.

Originally posted by Jay Cal View Post
      Promotion of the Year
      Lucha Underground
      Cant disagree here. I would have been fine either way and would have voted LU #1.

Wrestler of the Year
      B-Boy
      I would have voted Strong #1 but cant complain about B-Boy. Avalon is a mystery.

Tag Team of the Year
      No complaints.

Gary Yap's Man In Black
      Wrong guy won but the right guy wasn't nominated. Of the people who were nominated ok choice from what ive seen on video. Havent seen him live.

Rookie of the Year
      Douglas James
      Looks right.

Match of the Year
      -Runner-up: The Young Bucks & Super Dragon vs. Andrew Everett, Trevor Lee & Biff Busick (PWG 8/29)
      hahahahahahahahahaha Did the voters think they are going to get a date? Seriously? The winner was good but not on the same level. Suprising =/= great.

The match award is puzzling but no real complaints about the rest aside from Zack Sabre Jr not being nominated.

Comment

I'll post more in depth thoughts later, but congrats to B-Boy. He joins Super Dragon and Kevin Steen (Owens)as the only multiple time winners of WOTY.

Does anyone else see the irony in Gary Yap being associated with the Paul T. award? I can just imagine his commentary on that.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          I'll post more in depth thoughts later, but congrats to B-Boy. He joins Super Dragon and Kevin Steen (Owens)as the only multiple time winners of WOTY.

Does anyone else see the irony in Gary Yap being associated with the Paul T. award? I can just imagine his commentary on that.

Steve
          The irony isn't wasted on me. But you know, with Gary Yap's Man In Black... Gary has finally found his true calling in wrestling. He shouldn't have been a promoter. He was always perfectly suited to be a manager. Gary's work in EWF has been stellar. And its no wonder why his guy won this award, he's a world class athlete.

Comment

Congratulations to Lucha Under Ground, B-Boy (Bael), Gary Yap Man in Black, Thunder Rosa, and Young Bucks!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              I'm beyond honored/humbled. I definitely have more to say but I'd like to kinda let it soak in for a bit so I can process it all. I made no secret from the beginning about wanting this for Paul.

Comment

Originally posted by AOLStudios View Post
                I'm beyond honored/humbled. I definitely have more to say but I'd like to kinda let it soak in for a bit so I can process it all. I made no secret from the beginning about wanting this for Paul.
                Honestly, he probably would have thought it was funny and posted a funny picture.

Steve

Comment

What is the issue with Paul T and Gary Yap?

Comment

Originally posted by Sleazy E View Post
                    What is the issue with Paul T and Gary Yap?
                    Long story, short: I wasn't a very good Promoter and Paul publicly called me out on it. A lot. Obviously it's not that simple, but that's the gist of it.

Comment

I've already voiced my opinions of people and matches that weren't nominated, so I wont mention it here. This will only focus on comparing who was nominated.

Originally posted by Jay Cal View Post
                      Promotion of the Year
                      Lucha Underground
                      I'm glad Lucha Underground won. They had really good shows in 2015 and they are something unique that will probably end up changing wrestling much like ECW did. Match quality overall isn't equal to PWG but as an overall promotion they deserved the award. PWG's had 4 shows already in 2016 that are getting rave reviews so I wouldn't be surprised if PWG wins again for 2016.

Wrestler of the Year
                      B-Boy
                      B-Boy deserved the award for 2015. Constant good matches. Wrestled all over SoCal, a top guy in most every promotion he was in.

Tag Team of the Year
                      The Young Bucks are on another level than anyone else. Five times they've won the award, 3 times runner-up. I expect them to end up as the greatest tag-team in SoCal history.

Gary Yap's Man In Black
                      I've only seen the Man in Black in videos but he seems to be really good. Eli Everfly is awesome. I think I would have voted for Everfly, but I can't complain about the Man in Black.

Rookie of the Year
                      Douglas James
                      This looks like it was the toughest category. So many good choices this year. Danny limelight, Friar, and Ju Dizz would have easily won the award in other years, they just had the misfortune of being in the 2015 class.

Match of the Year
                      Can't comment because I haven't seen the winner. I heard Bart will be setup at the next FCW show. If he has this show available I'll get it.

The runner up was really good. Really good.

Steve

Comment

Part of me wishes that a company that wasn't using huge stars and was mostly using local talent would've beaten PWG.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew View Post
                          Part of me wishes that a company that wasn't using huge stars and was mostly using local talent would've beaten PWG.
                          Thats a nice thought, but you're asking a little much of our local talent don't you think? PWG is a bonified international Indy company who is able to afford the best talent in the whole world to go against each other in dream matches. Expecting a local company with local talent to compete with that is ludicrous.

It would be like expecting the division 3 college football champion Mount Union Purple Raiders to compete with the Alabama Crimson Tide. The disparity in talent is that big, and expecting that from our local talent is not feasible.

Fans in SoCal are spoiled with PWG and LU, and comparing these companies to our homegrown boys is a little unfair. If you put these 2 companies in any other territories in the country, they would blow away the local indies, and yet somehow our boys and girls are supposed to compete with these powerhouse companies?

If you ask me, you're asking a little much. Just enjoy our local guys while they blaze their trail and hopefully their careers are successful enough to land at LU or PWG
                          See whats new at Battleground Pro Wrestling at www.battlerageson.com

Comment

No, i think there's enough talent now in the area and the areas around SoCal that could make for a good enough roster to be competitive enough to garner enough attention and praise to be held in the same regard. The problem is we have too many promoters and bookers who don't know what the fuck they're doing and are clueless as to how to get fans interested in wrestling in this era.

The Dodgers paid about $269 million dollars in salary last season. What did it get them? The chance to watch the Royals win the World Series on TV, when they paid $112 million in salaries. The reason why I say this is because I truly believe now more than before in 2010-2011 that if the right minds put something together, that a promotion could put together a talented roster that draws respectable crowds and has a good reputation among fans.

Comment

I don't think comparing pro wrestling to MLB really fits, at least in the salary department. Unless you know who writes MLB's scripts.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X