R.I.P Gils Garage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R.I.P Gils Garage

--Gil's Garage, something of a famous Southern California Lucha Libre training gym in East Los Angeles, looks to be closing as the landlord wanted to double the rent. The place has appeared in a few movies and was famous for a hard as a rock ring that taught people to hate bumping.
    credit- Dave Meltzer

I must say from my training days ( early 91 ) , I took many bumps at Gils Garage. I think they had 4 layers of carpet over wood . Nice ropes Also , if I remember right , most of the mechanics there were luchadores ,who worked local shows.
    Sad day indeed ........

i also took many bumps there ! hard as fuck ! but it was the only place to train at the time !
    " shoots are for kids " and "just as silly "

Comment

there ya go'

Also , just talked to a friend (John Hannah) and he said the luchadores errrr mechanics were Capitan Oro , Principe Indu and even a young Psychosis ( Nightstalker at the time)

Comment

oh snap!

I also took many a bump at Gils. When Unholy and I first started that was the only place you could go to train. Gil only charged us 5 bucks for the day, so we could train then go eat some tacos de carnitas at taco mexico around the corner. Sad to see it go cause you had to be a serious mother f er to train or Gil would kick your a$$..........Favi

Comment

Originally posted by CALIFORNIA OBSERVER
          --Gil's Garage, something of a famous Southern California Lucha Libre training gym in East Los Angeles, looks to be closing as the landlord wanted to double the rent. The place has appeared in a few movies and was famous for a hard as a rock ring that taught people to hate bumping.
          credit- Dave Meltzer

I must say from my training days ( early 91 ) , I took many bumps at Gils Garage. I think they had 4 layers of carpet over wood . Nice ropes Also , if I remember right , most of the mechanics there were luchadores ,who worked local shows.
          Sad day indeed ........
          This is very, very sad news. Technically, this is the first ring I ever set foot in. Although there was always a huge language barrier, I learned a lot at "the mechanics". This gets a big from me.
          http://www.myspace.com/CharlesMercury

Comment

Originally posted by Mercury_XXX
            This is very, very sad news. Technically, this is the first ring I ever set foot in. Although there was always a huge language barrier, I learned a lot at "the mechanics". This gets a big from me.

That was the first ring I ever set foot in as well. If it weren't for Joey Epic I never would have known about the place. And yes, that ring was HARD AS FUCK!

Comment

Resurrecting this from the past. I trained at Gils from 2003-2006 and wanted to know if anyone had any pictures of the inside or outside? Kinda feeling nostalgic.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X