Fidel Castro Has Died

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fidel Castro Has Died

Wow, politically speaking, it is the end of an era. Castro has finally passed away. The cat outlasted 10, almost 11 Presidencies.

Even though Castro's health was in a state of decline since 06, beginning with that nasty fall, it always sort of felt like Castro would live forever.

Fidel's brother, Raul, has said he would resign in 2018. So it will be an interesting couple of years as Raul resigns, the transition of power, and Trump's Administration assumes power. Perhaps a freezing of relationships will resume. I was hoping the embargo would just finally end.

Fidel has been a very intriguing and polarizing figure. One of the most important from Latin America in the 20th century. The CIA attempts to kill and discredit him are hilarious. Like the seashell bomb they devised. They were hoping Fidel would pick up the seashell and put it to his ear after going for a swim. Then ba-boom! Or the spray they would use on his slippers to cause his whiskers to fall out.

Hey atox, not sure if you will see this, but has any of your family or you been back to Cuba since the recent thawing of relations between the States and Cuba?

Yeah, but if Raul changes his mind, who's gonna tell him he can't?

Comment

Originally posted by CheMateo View Post

Hey atox, not sure if you will see this, but has any of your family or you been back to Cuba since the recent thawing of relations between the States and Cuba?
      Ha that's awesome you remember I'm Cuban. To answer your question, my family hasn't been back since relations have improved but over the years we have gone over illegally through Mexico. I have only been there once but my mom and grandma have gone several times over the years. Last night there was many happy people in my household. I hope we see some changes but with Raul still around I don't think we will but I hope I am wrong.
      "Atox is the ambassador of SoCal wrestling fans and should be recognized as such."

SoCal's most loved and respected official Rick Knox

Comment

Originally posted by Marko View Post
        Yeah, but if Raul changes his mind, who's gonna tell him he can't?
        I do see your point, but Raul has never had the same level cult of personality as Fidel did. It seems like Raul is not as interested in holding the reigns like Fidel did. I do see your point as it would be very easy for Raul to just say, "Aw, what the heck, I shall stick around for a few more years." Raul is also up there in age. Raul will be 87 by then. Raul is not known for his marathon speeches like Fidel. It seems more likely that Raul has groomed someone and has someone in mind to succeed him. However, I could be wrong!

Originally posted by atox View Post

Ha that's awesome you remember I'm Cuban. To answer your question, my family hasn't been back since relations have improved but over the years we have gone over illegally through Mexico. I have only been there once but my mom and grandma have gone several times over the years. Last night there was many happy people in my household. I hope we see some changes but with Raul still around I don't think we will but I hope I am wrong.
        Of course compañero, how could I forget!? That is cool. I was going to ask if the familia was happy and celebrating. Ah, through Mexico City. I was hoping to do the same back in 07 but plans fell through. Hopefully next year. I was listening to NPR the morning of Fidel's death. They were covering Little Havana and the celebration on the streets. It sounded very festive. I wish The Cuban Bistro in Alhambra was still around. I would have stopped by. I did make a stop at Porto's and there was a celebratory atmosphere in the air. One day we shall hopefully celebrate together in person.

I was amused by all the jubilation. I saw some news footage in Little Havana and this guy was waving his little Cuban bandera. As he was waving it, this other guy was waltzing down the street with his hips swaying. The flag bearer accidentally poked the waltzer in the face with the flag. The flag bearer apologized but the waltzer took no offense and kept waltzing down the street.

Well hopefully there will be positive change in the near future!

Comment

There are many happy people and the celebrations are awesome to see. Also I think I saw you at AWS but when I was going to say hi after the show you were no where to be found lol.
          "Atox is the ambassador of SoCal wrestling fans and should be recognized as such."

SoCal's most loved and respected official Rick Knox

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X